Tuesday, May 17, 2005

sod off!


It was a usual day at work. You know, hectic with emails pouring in, telephone ringing off the hook with irritants asking for stuff to be done, re-done and re-re-done just because they can't make up their minds or think things through before giving instructions.

But I digress.

So, like I was saying, a usual day at work. My office phone rings, and I answer with my professional, polite voice. A male voice comes through, stuttering and stammering and asking if I am who I am, despite the fact that I had mentioned my name in greeting.

I roll my eyes in irritation; my voice remains patient and polite. Official call, right?

So person starts asking if I am interested in some dunno-what financial workshop. I am puzzled. I ask in reply if his query is whether my organisation would be interested.

Official call, right? Maybe potential tie-up, I think. Or better yet, potential advertiser! I like.

Oh noooooooooo.. he clarifies. He's asking about me. Personal call. Now that's really weird.

I have to probe.

How did you get my number? I don't give out my office number.
Erm. Erm. This sort of information can be bought, he laughs awkwardly.

Man, did that piss me off!

In all indignance (and empowered by the knowledge that this is not an offical call), I lash out at said person.

Then I want to know where you bought my information from, I spat.

Person remains innocuous to my prying question, and replies in all earnest, I can't tell you that. It's confidential.

I almost did a perfect-score triple backflip.

That's confidential?! Wouldn't my personal particulars be more confidential?! This is beyond ridiculous! I almost yelled at the poor bugger.

He stuttered and stammered again and returned something incoherent. Then he tried that awkward laugh of his.

I wanted to tell him that a geeky ha-ha ain't gonna get him off the hook, but thinking to myself that he could be a poor student part-timing for food allowance, I decided not to. (Or perhaps the boss happened to walk by, thus impeding my ability to curse and swear.)

I decided to finish him off with a warning. My voice turned sugary sweet but thick with sarcasm and malice.

I would appreciate it so much if you could delete my personal information from your illicit database. And convey a message to whomever you bought this data from that he had better not let me find out who he is...

And with that said, I promptly slammed down the receiver.

He never called back.

Smirk.

Comments:
I thoroughly enjoy your writing style. Kudos.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]