Wednesday, July 06, 2005

from famous.. to infamous


My mom often raves about this particular char kway teow stall and one day we stumbled upon the stall (it had moved away from wherever my mom used to patronise it from) in a food centre.

So last night, the Boyfriend and I went there for dinner. We ordered two $4 portions. I usually take the $3-sized portion but boy, was I starving (it was past 8pm when we finally got there)! So I decided to indulge.

I dove straight into the steaming plate of char kway teow with a fervour for food my friends rarely get to witness. But barely 10 mouthfuls later, I spotted something in my noodles. I gingerly picked it up with my chopsticks and throw it on the table with disdain.

Initially I had thought it was a tangle of thin wire, or something to that effect. Upon taking a second look, however, I discovered that it was... a long, curly, coarse strand of hair glistening with what I hope was oil from the noodles. The horror!

My stomach turned. I almost threw up. Literally.

I know you think I'm over-reacting because the entire time I was telling myself that I was over-reacting. But you had to see it to know! It was so strangly and coarse that I sincerely believe it was pubic hair. I still can see it in my mind's eye! Gross!!!

And so I promptly gave up the originally-sumptuous plate of char kway teow and settled for 8 sticks of satay instead.

That char kway teow stall had, in that single moment, gone from famous to downright infamous.

Woe befall me if I ever patronise that stall again.


Comments:
Not sure which is worse... your little char kway teow adventure here or my little ice-cream adventure at one of the branded ice-cream gourmet shop... - D W
 
do i dare ask what that was all about?
 
A strand of pubic hair found in ice-cream. - D W
 
actually in my teenage years, i had friends temp-ing at one particularly popular luxury ice-cream parlour.. so the monstrosities that i've heard make me immune to your story.

but seriously, never offend a waiter who has not brought you your food. always wait til after.
 
During my youth days working in a French restaurant, a senior colleague served Earl Gray tea mixed with his very own pee to a Yuppie-couple - in a silver tea pot, no less.

He was that pissed. {}
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]