Tuesday, July 12, 2005

you're just jealous


SPH pulls no punches as it forces NKF's CEO to admit that he earns $25,000 a month and enjoys bonuses of 10-12 months each year. It's claimed that gasps filled the courtroom when this was revealed.

Singapore is abuzz with murmurs of dissent, disgust and rage about this. A non-profit organisation that relies solely on public funds pays their CEO that amount? To think my colleague said working in NGOs doesn't pay. I guess it depends which NGO eh?

I do agree that that sort of annual income is rather obscene for an organisation that pledges to serve the ill and under-privileged/ needy. But I'm not taking too nicely to anyone who grouses about feeling cheated aka "my donations went to his gold tap/ first-class flight?!".

To be brutually honest, I think a majority of contributors to the NKF Charity Shows are enticed by the huge-ass prizes and indecent amounts of money. It's like buying lottery, ya? This was quite evident from the barrage of NKF Charity Show advertisements that you can run but cannot hide from on TV recently. The pitch is blatantly 'donate and win this' or 'donate and win that', followed by a 'oh yah and you get to help someone too'.

I'm certain that there are kind-hearted souls who look at the NKF hoohah and think, Gosh I should help cancer/ kidney patients. There surely are.

But for majority of us - having never experienced the pain of perhaps losing a loved one to cancer/ kidney failure; or having never witnessed the miracle of having a loved one fight and win the battle against disease - we don't necessary relate to the (melodramatic) reality snippets that they broadcast. Sure, you feel sorry for the patients. But how can you say you really understand if you've never been in, or near, that sort of situation before?

So if your foremost thought while you dialled the hotline/ sent that SMS was wonder-if-I'll-win-the-condo/car/cash, then please save me the I-feel-so-cheated crap. You're just jealous.

::

I remember once having a conversation about karma and the question I posed, which remains painfully unanswered to date is: if you do something good with the wrong intentions, do you still get 'credit' (for the lack of a better term) for it? And vice versa, of course.

I still don't know. Do you?

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]