Wednesday, August 31, 2005

the chimes of wedding bells


Not mine, to clarify before anyone gets unduly excited.

I've been hearing all about weddings and diamond rings and gowns and hotel banquet dinners so much the last two weeks that I decided it's a scary trend.

There was a mini secondary-school class gathering the other week that I skipped. I had to work, and honestly, I didn't really feel like going. The people on the RSVP list were just, well, not very close to me and I don't figure I would have much in common. Especially after ten years apart.

But anyway my social butterfly of a galfriend went and the next morning, sent me a gossipy email about everyone.

One gal's married. Yes, past tense. Married. To a doctor and living in the opulent Bukit Timah area. Apparently she's a child psychologist now at a non-profit organisation. Sounds just like her. My galfriend insisted that we should start subscribing to The Peak and Tatler because it won't be long before we see this ideal couple featured at some charity gala ball. You know, the type where you donate $5,000 for a seat.

Another gal's engaged and lugging a mother-sized diamond ring on her finger now.

And last night I met with a close galfriend of mine and she and her boyfriend are talking marriage lately too.

What on earth!

We (me and the abovementioned and all my galfriends, actually) are barely a quarter of a century old! I still find that really way to young to be getting married, or engaged for that matter.

I don't buy the they-found-the-one romanticism. Because even if you have, you can't get married unless you want to.

But we're so young (yes I know I'm repeating myself; it's for emphasis)! There's still so much to do: so much reckless partying, impulse shopping, late-night suppering, cute-guy ogling! All the irresponsible fun that only the unburdened can indulge in. I definitely cannot see myself getting married in the near future.

But of course I'm certain that they're happy where they are in life too. It's a different sort of happiness that a happy marriage brings. Different from my misspent youth.

Well, I guess I'll just have to start saving up for all the dinner ang baos. If I'm invited.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]