Monday, August 22, 2005

a tad technie


I know I pronounced myself "so not a technie" recently, but I did the techniest, computer-geekest thing just now.

I was trying to enter myself into some NETS contest to win premiere tickets to Cirque du Soleil's Quidam (because I'm a cheapskate with desires).

The online contest form was straightforward (although it did request for my NRIC number) so I filled it in with no problem at all. Then I clicked submit and got javascript-prompted to enter a "valid name".

How odd is that. What's so invalid about my name!

Insulted but undeterred, I tried again this time with my full name as in NRIC (the way all government bodies like it). Still "invalid".

At this point I started thinking I must be an illegal immigrant with a fake BC and fake NRIC and fake CPF account.


I try a few more times.

First Name Last Name
Last Name First Name
Last Name First Name Middle Name (!)

(Yes, I really do want those tickets. And no, none of those combinations worked.)

When finally I could take it no longer, four years of tertiary education kicked in and I decided to view the source code of this lousy contest form.

In 30 seconds, I realised why javascript found my name invalid. It has a hyphen in it. Which the script believes to be an invalid character for a name.

Well, excuse me!

So anyhow, because I have little conviction and a growing desire to watch Quidam, I entered my full name minus the hyphen. Which actually is the lazy way I've been spelling my name.

It still freaks me alittle the way I decided to get round this problem - viewing the source code, not dropping the hyphen. So I guess in little ways, I'm still a tad technie.




Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]